Saturday 30 December 2017

Day and night and six seasons

In the past, there was a saint called Devasarma. His wife, Ruchi, was a very beautiful lady. Devendra fell in love with that lady. At that time, Deva Sarma had to attend a Yaga. He called his Sishya, called Vipula.

“Vipula! You know that my wife, Ruchi, is a most beautiful lady. Devendra lusted her and is waiting for an opportunity. So far I have been protecting my wife from the wicked plans of Indra. Now I have to attend a Yaga. Devendra is always in the habit of lusting others’ wives. In my absence, he may fulfil his desire. Therefore, in my absence, you have to protect my wife from Indra.” asked Deva Sarma.

“O Guru! I will certainly do that. But how to know the tricks and illusions of Indra.” asked Vipula.

“Vipula! you are right. Indra may come in the form of even birds or beasts or in invisible form. You have to use your intelligence and yogic powers to retaliate his tricks.” said Deva Sarma. Then Deva Sarma went away. Vipula was guarding the wife of Deva Sarma.

Meanwhile, Vipula hatched up a plan. With his yogic power, Vipula entered the body of Ruchi. As Vipula was in her body, she lost consciousness. Meanwhile, Devendra arrived there. Body of Vipula was lying at a distance. Devendra thought that he was sleeping. Devendra came near Ruchi and patted her.

“O dear. I have come. Look at me. Dont feel shy. None are here. Vipula is sleeping. Let us enjoy together. Take me into your arms and hug me with passion.” Indra was requesting her.

As she was unconscious, she did not give any reply. From her body, Vipula spoke to Indra: “O Indra! She could not talk. She is unconscious.” Indra was afraid of Vipula. Vipual came out of the body of Ruchi and entered his body. Through his body he spoke to Indra.

“O Indra! Though you were once cursed by Goutama for lusting his wife, Ahalya, you have not learnt any lesson. You are again repeating the same sin. Are you not wise? Being Devendra, cannot you control your sense organs. Is your mind so wicked? You wretch! why you are commtting this kind of sin, lusting other’s wife. If it is known to my Guru, you will be reduced to ashes. Take care.” said Vipula.

Devendra could realise the yogic powers of Vipula. Again Vipula said: “I myself would have reduced you to ahses. Without permission of my Guru, I cannot do this. You are saved. Get out.” ordered Vipula. Devendra fled away with fear.

On arrival of Deva Sarma, Vipula told him what had happened but did not reveal about his entering into body of Ruchi. Later, on one day, while Ruchi was moving in front of Ashram, an Apasarasa was flying in the sky with a divine garland in her hand. Accidentally, that divine garland slipped from her hand and fell upon Ruchi, the wife of Deva Sarma. Ruchi picked up that garland and was astonished for its beauty and freshness.

Meanwhile, King Chitra Radha, King of Vanga arrived there. It so happened that the wife of Chitra Radha and Ruchi are own sisters. Hence Chitra Radha arrived there to invite Deva Sarma and Ruchi for a function to be held in his palace. Accordingly Deva Sarma and Ruchi attended that function. Ruchi adorned herself with that garland while going to that function. Beholding that garland, Ruchi’s sister amazed and asked her sister about its availability. Ruchi replied that those flowers are available in their garden and asked her husband, Deva sarma, to bring such flowers. In turn, Deva Sarma ordered Vipula to bring such flowers.

Vipula enquired Ruchi about that garland and went in search of it. With his yogic power, Vipula got those flowers. While Vipula was returning back, he met a wife and husband quarrelling with each other.

Wife challenged her husband: “If I am at fault, I will attain the lower regions as Vipula may get in the other world.”. Having heard those words, Vipula was not perturbed and proceeded further.

On the way, six gamblers were quarrelling with other other. One challenged the other five gamblers: “If I am at fault, I will meet the same fate as that of Vipula in the other world.”.

Then Vipula thought for himself. He remembered that he did not tell his Guru about his entering the body of Ruchi, with his yogic powers, as a result, he might have attained some sin. He proceeded to Vanga kingdom where Deva Sarma and Ruchi are staying. Vipula gave that garland to Ruchi. She was very happy.

Then Deva Sarma called Vipula to a side and said thus: “O Vipula! while you were coming back, you might have heard the conversations between a husband and wife and also six gamblers. They blamed you. Do you know who are they?” asked Deva Sarma.

“No” said Vipula.

“While rescuing my wife from Devendra, you entered the body of my wife. But you did not reveal that fact to me. They might have thought that you committed a sin. If really it was a sin, I would have cursed you on that day itself. But I praised you. The wife and husband are day and night. The six gamblers are six seasons.

Human beings commit both virtuous deeds as well as sins day in and day out. Bad and wicked think that they are commiting wrongs without the knowledge of others, which is nothing but their ignorance. Day and night and six seasons constantly observe what they are doing. Protecting a lady is very difficult. Diligently, you saved my wife. In fact you did a very good thing. Not revealing that fact to me is not at all a sin.” said Deva Sarma.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m13/m13b005.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive