Monday 25 December 2017

Manki Gita

Manki Gita:

Mahabharata, Santi Parva (Mokshadharma), Chapter 171:

"Yudhishthira said to Bhisma, 'If any person, desiring to accomplish acts (of charity and sacrifices), fails to find (the necessary) wealth, and thirst of wealth overwhelms him, what is that which he must do for obtaining happiness?'

"Bhishma said, 'He that regards everything ( joy and sorrow, honour and insult, etc.,) with an equal eye, that never exerts himself (for gratifying his desire for earthly possessions), that practises truthfulness of speech, that is freed from all kinds of attachment, and that has no desire for action, is, O Bharata, a happy man.’

Bhishma cited the episode of Manki with his bulls.

Manki purchased a couple of young bulls with a yoke for agricultural use. One day the two bulls properly tied to the yoke, were taken out for training. The bulls suddenly ran towards a lying camel, and fell upon its neck. Enraged at finding the bulls fall upon its neck, the camel, endued with great speed, rose up and ran at a quick pace, bearing away the two helpless creatures dangling on either side of its neck.

Beholding his two bulls thus borne away by that strong camel, and seeing that they were at the point of death, Manki began to say,

“If wealth be not ordained by destiny, it can never be acquired by even a clever man exerting himself with attention and confidence and accomplishing with skill all that is necessary towards that end.

The person that desires happiness should renounce all attachment. The man without attachments, no longer cherishing any desire for earning wealth, can sleep happily.

Amongst these two, viz., one who obtains the fruition of all his wishes, and one who casts off every wish, the latter, who renounces all, is superior to the former who obtains the fruition of all. No one could ever attain to the end of desire.

Only he that is destitute of knowledge and judgments feels avidity for protecting his body and life.--Forbear from every desire for action.

O my wealth-coveting Soul, do not induce me towards cupidity. Thou hast repeatedly lost thy hoarded wealth. O my wealth-coveting and foolish Soul, when wilt thou succeed in emancipating thyself from the desire of wealth? Shame on my foolishness! I have become a toy of thine! It is thus that one becomes a slave of others.

No one born on earth did ever attain to the end of desire, and to one that will take birth will succeed in attaining to it. Casting off all acts, I have at last been roused from sleep. I am now awake.

I know thee, O Desire, and all those things that are dear to thee! Seeking what is dear to thee, I shall feel happiness in my own Self.

O Desire, I know thy root (Thou springiest from Will). I shall, therefore, avoid Will. Thou shalt then be destroyed with thy roots.

The desire for wealth can never be fraught with happiness. If acquired, great is the anxiety that the acquirer feels. If lost after acquisition, that is felt as death.

I think the grief that one feels at the loss of wealth is very keen and far greater than what one feels under any other circumstances.

Robbers slay, in the sight of all, the person that is possessed of wealth, or afflict him with various kinds of severity, or always fill him with fear. At last, after a long time, I have understood that the desire for wealth is fraught with sorrow.

Having adopted Renunciation in consequence of loss of my property, I can now rest, freed from every kind of fever. I cast thee off, O Desire, with all the passions of my heart. Thou shalt not again dwell with me or sport with me.

I shall forgive them that will slander or speak ill of me. I shall not injure even when injured.

If anybody from aversion speaks disagreeable words of me, disregarding those words I shall address him in agreeable speeches

Freedom from attachment, emancipation from desire, contentment, tranquility, truth, self-restraint, forgiveness, and universal compassion are the qualities that have now I come to me. Therefore, let Desire, cupidity, thirst, miserliness avoid me.

Sorrow and shamelessness and discontent all arise from Desire and Wealth.

Like a person plunging in the hot season into a cool lake, I have now entered into Brahma, I have abstained from work. I have freed myself from grief. Pure happiness has now come to me.

Killing the principle of desire I have entered the immortal city of Brahma and shall pass my days there in happiness like a king.”

Relying upon such intelligence, Manki freed himself from attachments, casting off all desires and attaining to Brahma that abode of the highest felicity.

Indeed, in consequence of the loss of his two bulls Manki attained to immortality. Indeed, because he cut the very roots of desire, he attained, through that means, to high felicity.

Source(s):
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m12/m12b004.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive