Tuesday 10 December 2013

Fate

“O Dharmana! dont feel sorry. Every thing is destined by fate. None can avert the fate. After all we are humans. We are not responsible for anything. Nothing is in our hands. In this connection I narrate you a story.

In a village there was a brahmin lady, called Goutami. Her son died due to snake bite. She was lamenting for the untimely death of her son. Meanwhile, one hunter caught the snake and brought it before the woman.

“Oh mom! this is the snake which killed your son. Tell me how to kill it. Either by cutting it into pieces or crushing with a stone. Your wish.” said the hunter.

“Kindly rleave the snake. Let it go free” asked the brahmin lady.

“No mom. This snake killed your son.” said the hunter.

“No. my son was killed due to fate. Lamenting for his death or killing the snake is quite unwise. Virtuous and wise people never resort to such acts, except forgetting the past and think about future. Even if you kill that snake, my son will never come alive. Hence leave the snake.” said the brahmin lady.

“Mom. I am a rustic. I cannot understand your words. I know only revenge. Hence I kill this snake.” said the hunter.

“Your name is Arjunaka means person of whitish complexion. You are pure and innocent. How can you behave curelly. How can I accept this kind of nonviolence.” said brahmin lady.

“Mom! Listen. Killing the creatures which harm people is not a sin.” said the hunter.

“Killing even an enemy who was imprisoned is against Dharma.” said the brahmin lady.

“Mom! Is it not dharma to save others from snake bite by killing this snake? Did Devendra not kill Vritrasura? Did Maha Siva not destroy the Yajna of Daksha? While those are Dharmas, killing this snake also is Dharma.” argued the hunter.

After hearing the above conversation between brahmin woman and hunter, the snake told them thus: “I am not at fault in killing this boy. Only on the directions of Goddess Mruthyu, I killed this boy. I have no anger or hatredness upon this boy.” said the snake.

“Oh is it so. Therefore, you are a tool in the hands of Mruthyu. Then I should certainly kill you.” said the hunter.

“O hunter! listen. Potter turns the wheel for making pots. If the pot is broken, is it the fault of the wheel or potter. I have no power to kill anybody. If I am seen by humans, I will be killed mercilessly.” said the snake.

“Well said serpant! If anybody shoots another person with an arrow, will that person keeps quiet by discussing whether it is the fault of the arrow or the person who shoots. Or whether he cuts that arrow in between with another arrow. Cutting the arrow rushing towards him is not a sin. Do you kill this innocent boy on the pretext that you are ordered by Mruthyu. Even if you are cut into pieces, it is not a sin. Not only you, all the snakes which are the tools in the hands of Mruthyu shall be killed mercilessly.” said the hunter with great anger.

The snake smiled and said: “O hunter! On behalf of the masters, Purohits perform Yajnas and Yagas. But the result of Yajnas and Yagas goes to the master not to the Purohit. Therefore, the sin accrued by killing this boy goes to Mruthyu not to me.” said snake.

Meanwhile, Goddess Mruthyu arrived there. Beholding the snake, Mruthyu said: “Oh snake! you have not committed any sin. You killed that boy as per my directions. But I am also not at fault as I was directed by Yama to get this boy killed through you. I simply followed his direction. You also dutifully followed my direction. Therefore, we both are not responsible for the death of this boy. Besides that, sun, moon, agni, sky, water, wind and the entire nature is under the control of Yama. He is the controlling authority. We acted according to his directions.” said Mruthyu.

“O Mruthyu! same thing I said. I amnot capable of deciding whether it is your fault or fault of Yama. I have no such capacity.” said snake.

Turning to the hunter, snake said: “Have you heard the words of Mruthyu. Still you say I am at fault. It is not proper on your part to find fault with me. Hence leave me.” prayed the snake.

“ No No. Yourself and this Mruthyu are sinful as you are taking away the lives of humans. I am not afraid of both of you. Your death is certain in my hands.” said hunter.

Meanwhile, Yama arrived there. “I have come here to clear off your doubts. The fact is either myself or Mruthyu, or for that matter, this snake are not responsible for the death of this boy. His death depends upon his past deeds. Because, as per the results of past deeds, birth, death, joys and sorrows occur in the present birth. Non can avert them. Even Parama Siva cannot avoid undergoing the result of his own karma. After all, this boy is nothing. Hence, dont blame anybody for the death of this boy.” said Yama.

When her words are repeated by Yama, Brahmin lady said: “This is nothing but the result of my past deeds. I am destined to undergo this kind of grief. None need be blamed for my fate. Therefore, leave that snake.” said the Brahmin lady.

After hearing the teachings of Yama and Brahmin lady, hunter became wiser and left that snake.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m13/m13a001.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive