Tuesday 10 December 2013

Groom

Dharmaja asked Bhishma thus: “O Grandsire Bhishma! what are the qualities for a bride groom to be looked into.” asked Dharmaja.

“O Dharmaja! In this connection, I tell you one story. There was a saint called Ashtavakra. He wanted to marry a girl called Suprabha, daughter of Vadaanya. Ashtavrakra asked Vadaanya to give his daugher in marriage to him. Vadaanya accepted his proposal and told him thus:

“O Ashtavakra! You proceed towards North. After crossing the abode of Kubera, on northern side, there are Himalayas where Parvati did penance for the sake of Siva. Even now, Lord Siva and Parvati are moving there together. After crossing that place, you find one Neepa Garden where you find a middle aged woman. You meet her and come back. Then I perform your marriage with my daughter.” said Vadaanya.

Ashtavakra accordingly proceeded towards north. First he arrived at the city of Kubera. Kubera received him with due honors and arranged dance programme with beautiful dancers. Those dances could not attract Ashtavakra. Then he entered Himalayas and arrived at the Neepa forest. In the midst of the forest, there was a beautiful building made up of gold. Beautiful girls welcomed him. He went inside. There he found a middle aged lady. That lady took him into the inner apartments and made him to sit by her side on a bed.

It was cold during that night. They both laid side by side on the same bed. That night, the lady tried to seduce him but the body of Ashtavakra did not respond. It remained like a log. Then she told Ashtavakra:

“O young man! you are a man and manly. Generally men are attracted to sexual desires and happiness. But why you remained silent and did not respond inspite of my seduction.. I will part with all my riches. Take me as your wife. I will serve you throughtout my life.” said that lady.

“It is a great sin to have intercourse with another’s wife. A brahmin cannot have intercourse with a Sudra lady(intercourse with other men than husband). I am still unmarried. I fell in love with a girl and I want to marry her.” said Ashtavakra.

“O young man! I also fell in love with you. For lovers, there are no bounds, They do not care for human relations. Marry me and enjoy these riches.” asked that lady.

“Why are you talking like this. I do not know whether ladies talk like this. Kindly control your temptations.Kindly leave me. I have to go.” said Ashtavakra.

“No No dont go. Remain here for some time.” that lady stopped him.

“If you do not touch me, I remain here” said Ashtavakra.

Next day morning, after morning rituals, Ashtavakra was about to leave that place.

“O young man! listen to me. I am also a virgin. As I could not get suitable match all these days, I remained unmarried. Fortunately, you have come. Kindly marry me.” requested that lady.

“During childhood, father; afer marriage, husband; during old age, son; are the protectors of a lady. Therefore, you are still dependent and you cannot marry without the permission of elders. Hence I reject your offer. Leave it. Who are you? Why you are seducing me like this. Kindly leave me. I have to go and marry my lover.” requested Ashtavakra.

Then she smiled and said: “O young man! At the command of Vadaanya, I tested your austerity and verocity. You have succeeded in the test. Vadaanya will give his daughter to you in marriage.” said that lady.

Then Ashtavakra saluted her and went back to his place. Ashtavakra married Suprabha and lived happily.

Therefore Dharmaja! before marriage, the character and conduct of the bridegroom shall be enquired into and tested thoroughly.” said Bhishma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive